How to protect your hair from the sun.
There are two different types of people. The sun-seekers who always find themselves doing outdoorsy things. And the people who love layers and cold weather. Whichever person you lean towards, you will, in some way, be exposed to the sun and UV elements.
WHAT IS UV:
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a type of energy produced by the sun and some artificial sources. Unfortunately the sun's UV radiation cannot be felt or seen, so you won't notice any damage until it has been done. The sun’s UV radiation is the main cause of skin cancer. UV damage also causes sunburn, tanning, premature ageing and eye damage.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY HAIR HAS UV DAMAGE:
If your hair has prolonged exposure to the sun, UV rays can damage the outside cover of the hair strand, called the cuticle. Signs of sun damage to your hair include discolouration, dry and brittle strands, broken or split ends, thinning and frizziness. Damaged hair has a dry look and feel.
If this is your first time learning about UV damage, don't fret ! We're not saying hide from the sun and become a homebody. There are just some simple precautions you can do to take care of yourself, and your hair!
HOW CAN I PROTECT MY HAIR ?
There are a couple of simple tips that will help your hair stay hydrated and healthy, whether you're a sun-seeker or not. The trick is to keep these up continuously to see a difference with your personal hair health.
1. Wear a hat - We know it's not always everyone's cup of tea, however this will work as a sun and UV block for your new hair on your scalp!
2. Use a heat protector - A couple of sprays through your hair daily will give you immediate protection against the elements nasties! We have a pretty good heat protector / UV protector up for grabs too ;) VIEW HEAT SPRAY
3. Hydrate your body - After some serious sun time, the next day is a bit rough for your poor hair. so make sure you definitely drink your 2 litres of water and hydrate your body from the inside out.
4. Natural dry - If your pretty locks have seen a bit too much sun lately, be conscious to naturally air dry your hair after showers. Maybe even test your styling skills with some heatless hairstyles ? The less heat the better !
5. Nourish your ends - Okay so we've protected your baby scalp hairs, you're drinking your water and using a heat protect spray. Let's jump in with some nourishment for your ends. Nobody likes dry ends, and we want to hydrate them before they turn to split ends, (read up on split ends here). Make sure you're using a nourishing hair serum daily or every second day to keep your ends feeling and looking fresh ! Shop our liquid gold hair serums here :)